I'm a final year PhD Student and researcher at Hasselt University, Belgium in the field of Human Computer Interaction. In my research, I build novel tools and technologies that allow non-experts to take control over physical User Interfaces. In the past few years, advancements in technologies, such as 3D printing, conductive inkjet printers and IoT toolkits enable for computational changes in the living world similar to changes in digital interfaces. However, many users don't have expertise in programming, CAD environments or electronics to use these technologies.
The end-user development environments I invented, seamlessly integrate and (partially) automate the design, programming and electronic circuitry wiring process and support end-users from their initial idea until the final implementation of that idea. Examples include, PaperPulse which allows a layperson to fabricate new physical user interfaces by seamlessly augmenting thin-film substrates with electronic components. The RetroFab design tool on the other hand, assists in customizing existing physical user interfaces, such as appliances, using 3D printing and sensing technologies. These design tools go beyond the IoT vision of interconnecting devices and allow users to customize the appearance and behavior of physical interfaces on a fine-grained level. Besides, I also investigate technologies that allow for customizing physical interfaces in real-time using transformable and programmable materials. This track of research resulted technologies like the Paddle Phone.
- 10.02.2016: RetroFab received a Best Paper Honorable Mention Award at CHI 2016
- 04.01.2016: "RetroFab: A Design Tool for Retrofitting Physical Interfaces using Actuators, Sensors and 3D Printing" is accepted for publication at CHI 2016
- 09.08.2015: Giving a presentation and studio demo on PaperPulse at Siggraph 2015 in Los Angeles
- 29.06.2015: Research Stay at the Autodesk User Interface research group in Toronto.
- 18.06.2015: Research talk at the DGP lab at the University of Toronto
- 18.04.2015: Giving a presentation and demo on PaperPulse at CHI 2015 in Seoul
- 15.12.2014: “PaperPulse: An Integrated Approach for Embedding Electronics in Paper Designs” is accepted for publication at CHI 2015.
- 03.06.2014: Presenting Paddle at Internet of Things event in Eindhoven
- 23.05.2014: Presenting Paddle at VRT Onderzoek & Innovatie in Brussels
- 14.05.2014: Presenting Paddle at the Tactile and Gestural Interaction Forum in Lille
- 25.04.2014: In Toronto to present Paddle at CHI 2014.
- 14.01.2014: “Paddle: Highly Deformable Devices with Physical Controls” and “Kickables: Tangibles for Feet” are accepted for publication at CHI 2014
- 16.10.2013: Our team from Hasselt University won the 2nd price at the UIST 2013 Student Innovation Contest.
- 26.04.2013: Off to Paris to play with 3D puzzles at CHI2013.
- 08.10.2012: Presenting Carpus at UIST2012 in Boston.
- 02.08.2012: Research Stay at the Hasso Plattner Institute in Potsdam/Germany with Patrick Baudisch .
- 26.07.2012: Our paper “Carpus: A Non-Intrusive User Identification Technique for Interactive Surfaces” was accepted at UIST 2012.